Captain Dave Martin Sr. and wife Helen, Brooklyn, NY – 1913
This vintage portrait photo shows the young couple, Captain Dave Martin Sr. and his wife Helen. The Captain's hat worn by Captain Martin reads "ATHENE", which was the second party boat the Martin brothers owned and operated from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. (In 1910, the Martin brothers purchased their first boat, the "SPRAY".) Captain Dave Martin later owned and operated the famous party boat "GIRALDA" for over thirty years and was one of the pioneers of the era who specialized in wreck fishing.
Captain Martin and his vessel the "GIRALDA" later served during World War II transporting rubber for the war effort on the Amazon River. At the conclusion of the war, he downsized to a smaller vessel, the "ROARING FORTY IV", and in 1949, he retired to Stuart, FL where he became a citrus farmer. Captain Martin returned to New York during the summer months to work as the chief engineer for the Circle Line tour boat fleet sailing from Manhattan.